this old cat-house

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Don't be scared Alyssa friend-it's just Tasha! (When Tasha first came to live with me, my dear friend Alyssa often turned around to find Tasha staring at her with her GIANT owl-like eyes) She is a bit scary, I admit it, but after 6 years I think I am kind of used to her now.
On with posting more picks of our non-reno activities. Here is a recipe I am trying for the first time-Spicy Lentil Chili-to take to a Superbowl party tonight. Go Bluejays! oh wait...is that right? I am really only into it for the food :)
(recipe at the very bottom)
I don't think it's a good sign when your partner wakes you up on Sunday morning and suggests you "play house" by cooking brunch for once. I was under the impression that no one liked my cooking (b/c two weeks ago both Ian and Kerry said "maybe you should not cook for us anymore. Ever.") but I donned one of my many cute (mainly for decorative purposes) vintage aprons and make chocolate zuchinni pancakes (original recipe here-http://www.ivillage.com/zucchini-chocolate-chip-pancakes/3-r-230097). My terrific houseguest and best buddy made these when she visited from the Nation's Capital last weekend, and this morning I veganized it. Lesley, I can send you my alterations so that you can make it at home for your Vegan Love:
I thought I would share these pictures of my kitchen this morning. Evidently we are people who really like kitchen gadgets. I was using them all to be honest, b/c I was simultaneously making pancakes, vegan banana bread and espresso. I was really taking this "playing house" thing seriously today!

Spicy Lentil Chili (Recipe from Crazy Plates, by Janet & Greta Podleski, Granet Publishing, 1999)

1 tsp. olive oil

1 cup each of diced onions, celery, green pepper, and carrots

1 clove garlic

1 tbsp. chili powder

2 tsp ground cumin

1 - 1 ½ tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1 19 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 19 oz can cooked lentils, drained and rinsed

1 cup tomato sauce

½ cup unsweetened pineapple juice

1/4 cup chili sauce

1 tbsp brown sugar

1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro

For garnish: low fat sour cream (if your child eats milk products)

Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, green pepper, carrots, and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.

Add chili powder, cumin, oregano. and cinnamon, Cook and stir for 1 more minute. Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring once in a while.

Stir in cilantro. Remove from heat, ladle into serving bowls and top with sour cream, if desired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home